ADSM-L

GenericTape Device Type Problems

2002-01-09 15:44:23
Subject: GenericTape Device Type Problems
From: "Hamilton, Brice" <Brice.Hamilton AT PHNS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:26:51 -0600
Currently I am running ADSM V3 AIX server using STK 9840 Drives.  The
Device class I am using uses a DEVTYPE of GENERICTAPE.  This was
required years ago by the 3rd party vender OMI (Now known as Gresham
Technologies) when using their Advantape Device driver for AIX.  Well
the problem I am running into now is I am attempting to convert to my
new TSM V4.2 server on another physical machine.  The conversion and
UPGRADE DB works like a champ, the problem is when I try and access my
data on my 9840 tapes I get an I/O error reading the Tape labels.  The
only way to correct this is to use a DEVCLASS that has a DEVTYPE of
ECARTRIDGE.  This works I know because I was able to test it.  The BIG
problem comes in where TSM gives you no way to update the DEVTYPE in a
Device class definition.  I am currently working with TSM Level 2
support on this issue with no real progress as of yet.  TSM support is
telling me that I need to create a new Tape Primary storage pool on my
ADSM V3.1 that is using a DEVCLASS of ECART.  Tried this also and I get
similar errors when trying to write to this new Devtype on the old
server.  So I am stuck right now with my conversion.  Has anyone out
there run into this problem before, and if so, what did you do to get
around it.

Thanks for your input.

Brice Hamilton
Sr. Systems Engineer