ADSM-L

DIRMC

2015-10-04 17:13:40
Subject: DIRMC
From: Al Narzisi
To: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager
I am still not clear where or when the use of DIRMC may have changed from
what I understood from the red book "Getting Started with TSM".  In the red
book example, a separate management class pointed to by DIRMC in dsmopt of
the client was created to send directory structures to a disk storage pool.
This would allow rapid restoration of the directory structures during
recovery.  During testing, I discovered (Win2K server and Win2K client TSM
4.1):

1.  Even if you use DIRMC to define the management class of directories,
the directories would still default to the management class with the
highest retention value.  Only after coding NOLIMIT on the management class
pointed to by DIRMC, did the directories get bond to the management class
coded for DIRMC.

2.  After the directories where bonded to the correct management class ( a
MC that had a backup copy group with a destination of a disk storage pool
defined exclusively for my directories), I discovered that the directories
did not go to that storage pool.

3.  I discovered that it did not matter what MC the directories where bond
to.  The directory structures are saved in the TSM data base.

So, can anyone enlighten me on when this change occurred?  The red book
obviously does not indicate this behavior for the management of directory
structures.  Am I missing something here?  Are there any considerations for
TSM DB sizing because the directory structures are stored in the DB?  Where
is this documented?

Thanks for your input,
Al