ADSM-L

Client Side Compression in Unix 4.2 Client

2015-10-04 17:13:40
Subject: Client Side Compression in Unix 4.2 Client
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
One of our users recently installed the TSM 4.2 client for True64 Unix.
They are running version 5.1 of the OS on this machine, and so can't use
previous versions of the ADSM/TSM client.  In their dsm.sys file they have
set compression=yes and the node definition on the server has
compression=client.  Yet, when they backup their Oracle database they get 0%
compression, even though the very same data backed up from a different node
with True64 Unix 4f and the ADSM 3.1 client gets over 50% compression.  I am
wondering if there is some sort of bug in TSM 4.2 for True64 Unix.  I looked
in the adsm-l archives but did not see any mention of a problem.  I'd
appreciate any information on compression achieved in TSM 4.2 for Unix,
particularly for True64 Unix, but information about compression on any Unix
platform would be helpful.

Thanks.