ADSM-L

Re: Dealing with firewalls

2002-01-08 14:35:45
Subject: Re: Dealing with firewalls
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:32:43 -0500
One of our TSM AIX servers has several clients outside the firewall, we just
opened port 1500 for its IP address.  We normally run in polling mode,
anway.

The only problem we have seen was timeouts caused by the firewall.

Apparently some firewall software is set up to close the connection if
traffic stops for more than x minutes/seconds.  Sometimes a TSM client will
spend enough time noodling around in its directories without actually
sending anything, that it  exceeds the firewall timeout.  The result you see
in TSM is errors on both the client and server indicating a network problem,
where the TSM session gets terminated, then restarts, then terminates, then
restarts...

All you have to do is have the firewall administrator update the parms for
that port/connection to allow a longer timeout value.
SInce we did that, no problems at all.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert