ADSM-L

migration options

2002-01-07 22:28:47
Subject: migration options
From: cc52 <CC52 AT SDSUMUS.SDSTATE DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:26:34 CST
We are trying to determine what our options are in moving
forward from tsm 3.x to 4.x.   We have split our load across
a TSM AIX 3.7 system and a TSM VM 3.1.  We also have Veritas
running for  an NT Exchange Server.

Our Intel folks have been trying to get us to move in the Veritas
direction, however that tape system is quite limited (Small
DLT library).  The AIX and VM are sharing a 3494/3590-E1A library
with around 200-300 tapes in it.

Our main problem is that we have invested heavily in ESCON connections
to the 3494 lib but TSM VM seems to have been deadended for some time.
What have other VM TSM users moved to?  Again with our hardware
the OS/390 TSM seems to be the only other possibility, unless
Tivoli comes out with a LINUX/390 Server.  The VM version has
been so trouble free and so easy to manage its really hard to
understand Tivoli's determination to eliminate the platform.

Ron Greve
SDSU Computing Services