ADSM-L

Re: TDP for MSSQL

2001-12-21 16:20:05
Subject: Re: TDP for MSSQL
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 16:15:25 -0500
The ANS1815E means what it says.  Check the time you have set up for
the scheule to run and what time it actually starts.  Also what is the
"duration" you have set for the schedule, is it long enough?  Is there
another schedule runnin on this clinet prior to this one?  Maybe it is
taking too long and when this one tries to start, it is past it's time
and duration.

I haven't done Log backups yet but tempdb backup is not vailed/useless.
You may be able to ignorwe any error messages for it, unless it is
hanging up rest of backup.  I would have to look but I think there is a way
to take tempdb out of loop from backups, partially depends on version
of MSSQL and TDP agent.

David Longo

>>> gwichmann AT SANSIA DOT COM 12/21/01 03:00PM >>>
Our TDP for MSSQL backup is failing.. this is a newly installed
clustered win2k server.. I'm not sure whats happening here. I see the
one error below in sqlsched.log but would that cause it to hang? It
seems to hang and not complete it's backup. At 7:30 it giving up and
marks it as failed. Would adding an exclude for "tempdb" solve this
perhaps? The one thing confusing is we're not doing a logfile backup. We
do a weekly full and daily differential. These examples/output are from
the daily differential attempt. I'm looking for opinions here if anyone
has any things to try. Thanks!

The msg in dsmsched.log is as follows:

12/21/2001 07:37:56
Executing scheduled command now.
12/21/2001 07:37:56 Node Name: UDDIDB-MSSQL
12/21/2001 07:37:57 Session established with server UTSLC01: AIX-RS/6000
12/21/2001 07:37:57   Server Version 3, Release 7, Level 5.0
12/21/2001 07:37:57   Server date/time: 12/20/2001 23:45:50  Last
access: 12/20/2001 23:33:27

12/21/2001 07:37:57 ANS1814E Unable to start scheduled event
'HPUDDI-SQLDIFF'
12/21/2001 07:37:57 ANS1815E Either the window has elapsed or the
schedule has been deleted
12/21/2001 07:37:57 Querying server for next scheduled event.

The msg in dsmerror.log is as follows:

12/21/2001 07:37:57 ANS1814E Unable to start scheduled event
'HPUDDI-SQLDIFF'
12/21/2001 07:37:57 ANS1815E Either the window has elapsed or the
schedule has been deleted

The msg In sqlsched.log is as follows:

Tivoli Storage Manager
Tivoli Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server
Version 2, Release 2, Level 0.0
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1997, 2001. All rights reserved.

ACO5057I The C:\Progra~1\Tivoli\TSM\TDPSql\sqldiff.log log file was
pruned successfully.

ACO5422E Received the following from the MS SQL server:
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The log for database
'tempdb' is not available. Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: HY000)
(HRESULT:0x80042329)

Gerald Wichmann
System Engineer
StorageLink
408-844-8893 (v)
408-844-9801 (f)

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 12/21/01 16:27:51
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.