ADSM-L

4.2.1.15 NT Journal Service FILLING EventLog

2001-12-21 13:50:34
Subject: 4.2.1.15 NT Journal Service FILLING EventLog
From: Pete Tanenhaus <tanenhau AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:46:54 -0500
In general, only basic error messages should be written to the NT Eventlog,
detailed error information should be written to the TSM error log.

The 4.2 Journal Service incorrectly logs two messages which it shouldn't.

One is generated when access to an object which has changed but is excluded
via the
journal exclude list fails.

The other is generated when an object changes and is deleted before the
journal
service can process the first change notification (apparently this is
somewhat common
when applications create and remove temp files).

Both these problems (and many others) will be fixed in the 5.1.0 Journal
Service.

The next version of the Journal Service will also allow adding or removing
file systems without stopping
and restarting the service, and will have enhanced support for running in a
Cluster environment.

Pete Tanenhaus
Tivoli Storage Solutions Software Development
email: tanenhau AT us.ibm DOT com
tieline: 320.8778, external: 607.754.4213

"Those who refuse to challenge authority are condemned to conform to it"

---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on

"Malbrough, Demetrius" <DMalbrough AT TTIINC DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on
12/21/2001
10:25:37 AM

Sent by:    "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>