ADSM-L

Assigning MGMT to SYSTEMOBJECT?

2001-12-20 10:43:44
Subject: Assigning MGMT to SYSTEMOBJECT?
From: William Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:38:00 -0500
Going through the readme for the 4.2 client, I found the new option

INCLUDE.SYSTEMOBJECT ALL <mgmtclass>

to assign the systemobject to a management class. Also reading the Redbook
"Deploying TSM in a Win2k Environment" which states that only 1 copy of the
systemobject is kept by TSM. So, assigning a management class to the
systemobject has what effect besides directing the data to a specific
storage pool?

At a client site we are considering implementing a PRESCHEDULECMD to run the
NTBACKUP to backup the SYSTEMSTATE to a flat file and then manage that file
with appropriate retention based on their recovery needs. So when they do a
restore of a server to a specific date, the NTBACKUP file will be from the
same backup day.

In doing this, we are also trying to come up with some way to EXCLUDE the
systemobject from the incremental backups WITHOUT having to manage the
DOMAIN statements with individual drive letters. Since ALL-LOCAL assumes
systemobject.

I've searched the archives and also the Knowledge base on Tivoli and haven't
found any way to EXCLUDE the system object without having to specify a
DOMAIN that doesn't use ALL-LOCAL.

Maybe with assigning to a specific management class will handle retention of
the system objects and I'm just whistel'n in the wind here...?

Bill Boyer
"He who laughs last, probably did a backup!" - ???