ADSM-L

Performance on w2k

2001-12-13 10:52:02
Subject: Performance on w2k
From: Christoph Pilgram <Christoph.Pilgram AT BC.BOEHRINGER-INGELHEIM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:48:48 +0100
Hi all,

I have a a question concerning performance on a W2K-Client.

On our W2K-fileserver (2 processors, 800000 files, w2k-compression on) we
get a very poor performance with our backup (Vers. 4.2.0.0). With the
performance monitor there seems not to be an problem with memory or CPU
The bad time results from the scanning of the filesystem. In dsmsched.log
you can see, that the system scans about 1000 to 1500 files per minute, what
is compared to other systems very poor.
I am not an expert in w2k so my question : is this normal for a w2k-system
with that many files. Because there are sometimes a lot of rights belonging
to one file, maybe there is a lot to compare with the filelist from the
TSM-server ??
I saw in the XP-Client-Version an Problem fixed with IC31706, that reports
of a performance problem in XP (what is the same TSM-Client), but this fix
is not available for w2k.

Has anybody an idea where the problem comes from and how it can be fixed ?

Thanks a lot

Chris