ADSM-L

Re: Problem with 4.1 server - FYI

2001-12-08 22:29:51
Subject: Re: Problem with 4.1 server - FYI
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 21:27:42 -0600
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:21:56 -0600, it was written:
>Bonus feature of TSM 4.1... The " datactr " is my overflow location. I am
>running TSM 4.1.4.5 on AIX 4.3.3 ML8.
>I have a 3575L32 and the library is FULL plus there are approximately 100
>tapes in the overflow location at any one time.
>(Need to figure out how to use less tape so there is less tape shuffle
>required)...
>
>Note that the volume 078A9F was being asked for for the purpose of
>reclamation. Note that
>this was pre-empted because the restore needed this volume and Request 243
>(the call for the tape for reclaim) was
>cancelled. There was NO repeat NO subsequent call for the tape to be put into
>the library for the restore. Thus, the restore
>will hang forever unless someone notices the long wait time of the session at
>the TSM server! BUG???

No, not IMO. You're attempting to use TSM in a situation where you've
got *way* too few tape resouces for the amount of data you're
handling. I think it's presumptious to assume that TSM should be
called upon to handle a situation that shouldn't exist in a properly
configured and resourced system.