ADSM-L

Re: ADSM server crash

2001-12-05 14:43:38
Subject: Re: ADSM server crash
From: Anthony Lanni <anthony AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:40:59 -0800
Thanks.  Danny Miles sent me a message yesterday suggesting the same
thing; indeed, it was the recovery log filling up that caused the crash.
The database was not backing up due to the fact that it could not find a
scratch tape; although there were scratch tapes labelled in ADSM, the
3590 library had the category set to the wrong value (for every tape in
the library!).  I have set the category back; added on temporary log
space; the server is up, been up all night, everything is working now.
Still investigating why the tape categories were all changed.

thx
       anthony

Prather, Wanda wrote:

Normally only the log filling up will cause a crash.

Have you restarted the server in CONSOLE mode?

Instead of starting rc.adsmserv, CD into the server directory and start it
this way:  ./dsmserv &

That way instead of dsmserv starting in QUIET mode, it will be running in
your current AIX window, and you will see the error messages it issues as it
tries to come up.

Report those back to us, they are usually helpful...

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he
always declares that it is his duty."
         - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
                        Anthony Lanni

http://www.anim.dreamworks.com/~anthony/
{work}  anthony AT anim.dreamworks DOT com       (818) 695-6769
{home}  faentur AT loop DOT com                  (323) 856-9352
{pager} page-anthony AT anim.dreamworks DOT com  (818) 467-2221