ADSM-L

Event log Vs. Q filespace f=d

2001-12-05 10:31:31
Subject: Event log Vs. Q filespace f=d
From: Charles Anderson <ceanderson AT DIS.UMSMED DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:28:35 -0600
Folks,

I'm going to try and make what's going on as clear as possible, if I don't,
please ask for elaboration.

I hope one or more of y'all can lend me some insight as to exactly what is
going on here.  I have a node ( NT4.SP6, TSM client 4.2.1 ) which begins
backing up during it's scheduled backup window ( which is 2 hours long ), but
doesn't finish until 6 hours later.  This node seems to lie dormant from about
15minutes into its scheduled startup window until 5 hours later at which point
it successfully finishes its daily incremental.  So, this being the case the
command "q event * * begindate=-1 begintime=17:30 enddate=today endtime=08:00 "
( our scheduled backups run from 17:30 to about 05:00 ) yields a status of
either "Failed" or "<?>".  But a "q filespace PROBLEMNODE f=d" Says that the
"Last Backup Completion Date/Time : " was this morning.

Has anyone seen this where the event log and "q filespace NODE f=d" conflict?
Any ideas about this at all?

Here's some more info you may find helpful.

TSM Server = Solaris 2.6, TSM Server Version 4.1.4

Client Node = NT4 SP6, TSM Client 4.2.1  ( FYI, the node is running Oracle, but
we don't have TDP for Oracle.  The machine is making DB Dumps ( from the way
that I understand it ), the dsm.opt/sys file has excluded Oracle's Data
Directories, but it is supposed to have the Dump Files included ).

The Actlog doesn't have much useful info, it shows the Scheduled Session start,
And then starts the ANE495?I Messsages about how many files backed up, total
size of the backup, etc.

Our Maxsessions are set at 50, and the maxschedsessions is 25.  We have 20 NT
nodes during the aforementioned scheduled startup window, but I haven't seen
anything in the actlog about the maximum number of possible sessions being
reached.

What we've done so far to try and rectify the situation :
1) Upgraded the TSM client from 4.1.2 to 4.2.1
2) Stopped some of the tasks running from the Task Scheduler on the NT machine
( it was doing an "Expire Blocks" every 15minutes, I hope that means something
to you Oracle folks ) it was my belief at first that this was the process on
the box that was causing the backup to fail/ lie dormant for 5 hours.
3) Increased the backup window to 2 hours from 1 hour. ( it's now from 23:00 to
01:00 )

Sorry to dump all that on you, I'm about to call support and they're usually
pretty good, but the folks on the list have that "real world" experience, you
know?

Thanks a million,
Ed Anderson