ADSM-L

Help With Split Up

2001-12-03 18:58:58
Subject: Help With Split Up
From: Danny Miles <Miles_Danny AT PIEDMONT.PROMINA DOT ORG>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 18:39:56 -0500
Hi *SMR's:

Forgive me for the length of this but I will be thankful for any

I work for a Health System that has split up.  One side owns the TSM server (a
Netstore 3466, Ver. 3.7.3.6, Aix 4.3.2, about 70 clients, WinNt, Novell,  HP
Unix, Aix, Linux, about 12tb) and the other side (my employer) owns the
StorageTek 9740 SCSI library,  (with 6 clients, HP Unix and Aix, about 3 tb).
I have been doing the TSM Admin for both.

My employer has told the other Health System to make arrangements to move their
data off our library.  The one good thing is that the data on the TSM server is
all short term data, no archives or anything like that on this server.  Data
could be expired in about 4 weeks.

My employer is buying me a used IBM M80 as our TSM server and with the STK9740,
I'll have a complete system.  I'm not sure what the other side is going to do
but they will at least have to purchase a library and connect it to the
Netstore.  I have advised them to get a whole new system.  The old Netstore
3466 is a C00 model, I have to use pressure bandages on it on a daily basis to
stop the bleeding.  They just have too much data for that box to process.

What I'm asking is for any ideas on how to use the pieces in this setup so that
everyone has access to their old data.  Of course, the main issue is the data,
but Exporting/Importing the other sides 12+tb seems like it would be a long
drawn out affair. I'm not skilled enough yet to know what my alternatives are.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible to connect the STK9740 to my new TSM
server and then perhaps connect a couple of its drives (it has 10 DLT7000's and
600 DLT4 tapes) to the old Netstore for a period of time?  If possible, I hope
this would do two things for me.  One, it would allow me to just export the old
server with only node/domain/schedule info without client data but would still
allow me access to my old data until not needed.  Second, it would allow the
other side access to a couple of drives with which to move their data.

Is this feasible?  Does anyone have a different idea on how this should be
done.  If it was you, what would you do?

Thanks for any help,

Danny.

miles_danny AT piedmont.promina DOT org