ADSM-L

Re: TSM and VTS

2001-12-01 09:32:49
Subject: Re: TSM and VTS
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 08:30:00 -0600
The fact is that TSM does not always write tapes 'til they are full.  If
you have a bunch of small nodes using collocation or backupsets, you can
wind up with a lot of expensive tape with little content.  Using the VTS
would allow you to stack these nearly empty tapes onto one tape.  I'm not
sure whether this defeats the purpose of collocation, since I'm not sure
that the virtual tapes will stay collocated inside the VTS, though.

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

                    "Prather, Wanda"
                    <Wanda.Prather@J        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    HUAPL.EDU>              cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:         Subject:     TSM and VTS
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    T.EDU>

                    11/30/2001 02:23
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

TSM data is not an "ideal" application for a VTS because TSM writes tapes
util they are full, which means anything that gets recalled to the VTS (say
to restore a file) has to bring back the whole "virtual tape", not just the
file you want.

Whether or not you can make it work for you depends on the capacity of your
VTS and your TSM load.

Go to www.adsm.org, search 2001 data for this string: 3494+VTS+TSM
Look for my post from Oct. 31.