ADSM-L

Encryption experience?

2001-11-30 03:16:00
Subject: Encryption experience?
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:12:56 +0100
Hi,

does anybody use the encryption features of the TSM client? Any
experience (good or bad)?

A peculiar problem I have is that I cannot make it work for
non-root users (AIX and Linux client). With the settings suggested
in the TSM for Unix manual (i.e. PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE and
ENCRYPTKEY SAVE), a non-root user is not able to restore a file
which was encrypted during backup (by root). The message:
ANS1101E User not authorized to decrypt /home/mersch/encrypt/ttt.

And if a non-root user backups or archives a file, which is matched
by include.encrypt, it is NOT encrypted. This leads me to the
impression, that encryption is not available for non-root users,
which is in contrast to the documentation.

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet