ADSM-L

Re: Identifying library and tape drive devices in Solaris

2001-11-28 12:00:16
Subject: Re: Identifying library and tape drive devices in Solaris
From: Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:57:06 -0800
I just set up a Qualstar 4480 last month on a NT server, and had the
following problems.

1. Device information in Server Utilities correctly identified both the
library and drives,

2. I received the following message when attempting to define the library
    ANR8310E An I/O error occurred while accessing
    library AITLIB.
    ANR8418E DEFINE LIBRARY: An I/O error occurred
    while accessing library AITLIB.
This turned out to be a new configuration setting "DT Serial" was set
to "00 FILL"  I needed to change it to "NONE" (I was told about the setting
from other users, this was discussed on the list last month)
Note: The documentation that came with the library said that this option did
not apply to the 4480, but when I took the time to read the Addendum, it told
about the option now being enabled.

3. Once the DT Serial Option was set to none, I received the following
messages:

   ANR8823E Hardware configuration error in library AITLIB:
   0 drives, 0 storage slots.
   ANR8418E DEFINE LIBRARY: An I/O error occurred while
   accessing library AITLIB.

IBM Support of course told me to upgrade my server, which I did, and also which
didn't help.
Qualstar support spent a lot of time on the phone with me. First, we change the
element addresses to match what Tivoli expected (See Kelly Lipp's Post on this
subject)
and finally after going through the configuration menu item by item, we found
that the following settings
were blank.
Drive First
Drive Last
Fixed First
Fixed Last

The proper settings for my library were
Drive First    T1
Drive Last    T4
Fixed First    1F
Fixed Last    4F
By the way, Qualstar has free phone and e-mail support
   support AT qualstar DOT com
   (805) 583-7744

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001 3:14 PM, Seay, Paul [SMTP:seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT
COM]