ADSM-L

Re: AiX client password problem

2001-11-28 09:03:01
Subject: Re: AiX client password problem
From: Sias Dealy <hnre AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 05:44:56 -0800
Hello,

Some time ago I reported a problem with the AIX 4.3.3
client. The passwordaccess generate option doesn't
work under certain circumstances.
 There is now a apar which diescribes the problem:

 APAR Identifier ...... IC31516

PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE DOES NOT WORK IF ENCRYPTION OF
THE PASSWORD CAUSES A ZERO BYTE TO BE PART OF THE
PASSWORD.

 ERROR DESCRIPTION:
 Whe using passwordaccess generate, a password record
is formed
 for writing to the tsm.pwd file.  The password record
consists
 of the userid, servername, nodename, and the
encrypted password.
 All parts of the password record are written as a
sring and the
 encrypted password will fail to be written correctly
if the
 string contains a 0-byte within it.
 for example if the encrypted password string is:
 "D8 D6 BD 00 94 26 CB 11 7F" when it is written to
the
 password record, it is truncated at the 0-byte to "D8
D6 BD"
 and is thus incorrect within the tsm.pwd.
 This problem will only occur with passwordaccess
generate
 and the password encryption scheme results in a 0
symbol
 within it.  Since the password is incorrect in the
tsm.pwd file,
 the user will be prompted for the password even if it
was
 already set using passwordaccess generate.

 LOCAL FIX:
 Use a different nodename and/or password so the
encryption
 scheme will generate a different encryption string
that does
 not contain an 0 within it.

 PROBLEM SUMMARY:

 *USERS AFFECTED: Novell Netware client, UNIX client
         *

 *PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: PASSWORDACCESS generate:
incorrect       *
 *                     writing to the password file
         *

 PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
 The problem was related with an incorrect way of the
password
 record writing. It should be written as the binary
data rathe
 than the string.

 TEMPORARY FIX:
 Try to use another password or another node

Sias Dealy