ADSM-L

Re: Full backups again

2001-11-27 13:28:40
Subject: Re: Full backups again
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:25:22 -0500
< Am I correct that you need to set the backup copygroup mode to absolute
for
every management class mentioned in the dsm.opts plus the default,
before the "full backups", and reverse it back to modified afterwards. >

Yes, that's one way to do it. However, if you have clients in the same
domain that do not require full backups, then you should consider putting
the clients that do need full backups in a separate domain. Otherwise
*all* your clients could end up doing full backups.

< Will the TSM host server still need to produce and send its list of
active files
to the client for comparison purposes, even if only to mark deleted files
inactive. >

Yes.

< Will the absence of file attribute checking on the client make any
noticeable
difference to how long the backup takes. >

I don't think so. The bigger impact on the backup time will be the full
backups, depending on how much data is typically backed up with regular
incrementals.

Depending on your environment, another (perhaps simpler) alternative would
be to create a schedule with ACTION=SELECTIVE, OPTIONS="-SUBDIR=YES", and
file specs for the Netware drives in the OBJECTS parameter, i.e.
OBJECTS="SYS:* DATA:*", etc.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Hi all,
I may be required to implement a weekly full backup for certain of our key
netware data servers.
I have used all the arguments against this pointing out that you do not
need it
with the incremental forever philosophy of TSM.
I have also pointed out that if you do need it, backupsets are the
preferred
alternative.
However assuming I am forced to go that route I have a few of queries.

Am I correct that you need to set the backup copygroup mode to absolute
for
every management class mentioned in the dsm.opts plus the default,
before the "full backups", and reverse it back to modified afterwards.

Will the TSM host server still need to produce and send its list of active
files
to the client for comparison purposes, even if only to mark deleted files
inactive.

Will the absence of file attribute checking on the client make any
noticeable
difference to how long the backup takes.

Thanks

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy plc.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission.

Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC and S+S
are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.