ADSM-L

Re: Share the experience how to backup up Notes R4.6 in AIX without NotesConnect Agent

2001-11-23 12:16:26
Subject: Re: Share the experience how to backup up Notes R4.6 in AIX without NotesConnect Agent
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:14:08 -0600
On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 07:46:41 +0800, it was written:
>Are there anyone has used the *SM BA backup client to backup and restore the
>Notes R4.6 databases without shutdown the Notes process at AIX?
>.
>Actually, I have tried to perform the online backup on the Notes databases, and
>it seem *SM can handle the open files in Notes.

Well, sort of.

>However, when I try to restore back the databases, and I cannot open some of
>the mail database again. Thus, I think it may be corrupted during the backup,
>and I suspect the mail databases are being changing during the backup.

Chances are that those mail files were open when the backup occurred.

>Therefore, I would like to know whether *SM can use its backup agent to
>backup the Notes database without shutdown Notes.

Yes, it can, and 9 times out of 10, it will restore without problems.
(I've got a couple of customers that do that.)

The TDP for Notes package worked so badly (Lotus' fault, not Tivoli's)
that you either backed up the Notes files hot (and crossed your
fingers), or you shut down the Notes server during the backup.