ADSM-L

NT directory restores waiting for files

2001-11-22 07:55:17
Subject: NT directory restores waiting for files
From: Steven Bridge <ccaasub AT UCL.AC DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:37:38 +0000
Server TSM 4.1.2.0 on AIX 4.3

This has been working fine until yesterday - now directory restores
from a particular NT client all hang with 'Waiting for files...'.
No media waits occurring and the same when done from a different
machine with virtualnode set.

Testing with another directory did start mounting tapes and restored
the directory OK - but the initial wait was over an hour.

I see in the archive that Kyle Payne and Toni Banire had identical problems
back in January. We too appear to be able to restore individual
files within the directories concerned.

Was this ever resolved ? Any solutions found ?
Richard Sims suggested performing a client trace. How do you go about
doing this ?

 Try to select just one file and restore it that way.  I had a problem a few
 weeks ago that Tivoli couldn't reproduce.  I was running a restore of a
 folder and it would just sit there at waiting for files.  Finally I gave up
 and tried selecting the files and not the folder.  It went to preparing and
 then restoring right away.  Now in my case I was using the GUI and not the
 command line.  I'm sure our to problems are different but they may be
 related in the code if you can get individual files to restore.  Note that
 in my case when I ran a q sess it never went to a media wait state.  It was
 as if it was still trying to figure out what it need to restore from the DB.

 Kyle