ADSM-L

Re: Informix restore using TSM

2001-11-20 14:03:40
Subject: Re: Informix restore using TSM
From: George Lesho <GLesho AT AFCE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:50:10 -0600
Theresa, I do Informix restores all the time. You are correct about the old
ADSM product... it did supply a shared library. TSM does not. The shared
library is a generic library that onbar talks to to make its tape requests
known to TSM. TSM merely keeps track of where the backups are that are to
be restored and onbar does most of the work. Backups are done in several
ways, depending on the arguements to the onbar command. Backups done with a
-L specify a "level" and you can think of these as more or less incremental
backups. I say that because Informix logical logs, which are probably being
backups. I say that because Informix logical logs, which are probably being
backed up to allow you to restore to a "point in time". This point in time
is specified in the onbar restore arguements (hope you have an Informix
Onbar Backup and Restore Guide. The other way you can back up your system
is using the whole_system argument in the backups. Then, you can do a
whole_system restore. I think these work a tad better but either method
will work. How do you backup the database?  I would guess a script is used
which calls the onbar script that Informix provides along with arguments.
If you send me this info offline, we may be able to figure this out. Drop
me a note at:
glesho AT afce DOT com

George Lesho
AFC Enterprises

"Sarver, Theresa (Osky Unix Administrator)" <tsarver AT CLOWVALVE DOT COM>
@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 11/20/2001 10:33:57 AM