ADSM-L

Re: Future Share Requirement: W2K 4.2.1 Desktop Archive Client backs up files that are unmodified

2001-11-19 10:20:53
Subject: Re: Future Share Requirement: W2K 4.2.1 Desktop Archive Client backs up files that are unmodified
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:17:57 -0500
As a former customer and MVS storage administrator myself, I certainly
wouldn't want my users modifying SMS policies, either directly or
indirectly. In the same fashion, I wouldn't want them modifying my TSM
policies. Allowing users to specify -mode=absolute from the client is
effectively doing just that. Also, if we were to allow users to modify the
MODE setting, then the precedent would be set: next, users will want to be
able to modify VEREXISTS, VERDELETED, RETEXTRA, FREQUENCY, etc. Then the
whole concept of policy-based storage management goes out the window.

Even if you don't want to modify your TSM policy settings, I still don't
see what functionality a "-mode=absolute" option would give you that you
don't already have today via the SELECTIVE command. But yes, if this is
still something you require, then the requirements route is the best way
to go.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
11/18/2001 22:51