ADSM-L

Help Please with 3590 Hardware Compression

2001-11-19 06:11:52
Subject: Help Please with 3590 Hardware Compression
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:09:37 +0000
Fellow TSMers

I have a question regarding compression and 3590 drives. I must apologise
that I am not the most technically minded person, so responses in laymen's
terms are most appreciated.

Set-up

TSM 3.7.3.8 Server running on a Solaris 7 box
Attached to an IBM 3494 library with two 3590 drives

I understand that compression can be done from the client side, but have
been told that hardware compression can be a lot better and quicker. Can
anyone tell me how to find out if 3590 hardware compression is in use, and
how to set it up is it isn't (or pointers in the right direction).

At the moment our drives are enabled as follows:-

Library Name   Drive Name     Device          Type  Device   ON LINE
3494A          DRIVE1         3590            /dev/rmt/3stc       Yes
3494A          DRIVE1         3590            /dev/rmt/3stc       Yes
3494A          DRIVE2         3590            /dev/rmt/5stc       Yes

Thanks in advance for any help

Farren Minns