ADSM-L

Re: Aggravating recordkeeping failure in TSM.

2001-11-18 07:18:29
Subject: Re: Aggravating recordkeeping failure in TSM.
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:17:30 +0200
Things should be balanced netween simplicity and flexibility. At the same
time there is always room for improvements. Nowadays I feel satisfied with
the current syntax.
I missed that for the relation. Sorry. This changes the point and I do
agree with you. Anyway such many-to-many relation requires another table
not just a field added to the current table.
Yes, I also missed your point: so you want this relation described,
right? But let look to a script or macro like the following:
backup stg primary1 copyA
backup stg primary2 copyA
backup stg primary2 copyB
..
I can easily produce your relation table from this on the fly using awk.
You might prefer Perl but it does not change the things. The data is not
processed - it just is in another format and format transform can be done
in both directions without data loss. Depending on frequency of format
usage you store the relation in that format and produce the other
dynamically. If you more often need the info "which pool to which pool"
then store this in a file and dynamically create scripts. I do not change
this often but scripts are scheduled every day to run. So I prefer the
other form. Just a matter of taste. And it isn't too complex (awk '{print
$3,$4}').
As an answer to your last question - No, I am not using both Perl and
XML. For me the problems I had to resolve up to now were simple enough to
handle them with awk&sed. So never had time to learn Perl in deep detail to
use it effectively. XML is something I never had any benefit from. I've
heard such thing exist but the only contact with it was on this list. And I
was not satisfied at all - 10 weeks ago someone posted 32k XML to the list
with his beloved MS Word. But in my mailer this looks like totally
unreadable garbage. Maybe I am too conservative but do waste efforts only
if it return some kind of benefit. I do not care how to store the font and
the colour of filespace name in TSM database.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

asr AT UFL DOT EDU on 16.11.2001 17:34:18