ADSM-L

Re: export node or server on cross platform server migration

2001-11-16 14:25:02
Subject: Re: export node or server on cross platform server migration
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:22:26 -0800
on the VM to AIX we started new and fresh.  Harassed our users to switch
months in advance and kept the vm system around for 2 extra months.

On the same aix but DLT to 3590 we hooked up both and pushed on the system
to get it to migrate the onsite pools but had to start a brand new offsite
copypool.    It took some time but was seamless to the users.

On the aix to aix we just restored the DB to the new AIX and plugged the
same robot into it.  (after dumping the disk pools, etc)

Maybe you could do a combo of dual media with a db restore IF IF IF
the obsolete media can be read by the new system ....

IBM said the same to me and I didn't let them hang up the phone until I
gave them a piece of my mind about how naive it is to tell me to do
exports when I had 1 or 2 tera bytes.

A corollary to the:

"If you only have a hammer every problem looks like a nail"

theorem is:

"Just because you have a paper hammer doesn't mean you can pound (real)
nails."

                ... joe.f.

Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley
Private mail on any topic should be directed to :
         joef AT socrates.berkeley DOT edu
 (510)642-7638 (w)  (209)483-JOEF (M)
                             5633
   141 days until retirement to Portland, OR!!!!!!