ADSM-L

Collocation - on or off

2001-11-15 16:18:39
Subject: Collocation - on or off
From: Luke Dahl <ldahl AT JPL.NASA DOT GOV>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:19:22 -0800
Hi,
    We're trying to determine if we should use collocation on a system
we plan to put into production shortly.  My question is whether or not
it's possible to turn collocation on and specify the number of nodes
assigned to a tape.  The reason I ask is because we expect the addition
of approximately 2,500 nodes, with the majority being workstations.  The
media we will be using are extended tapes holding up to 70GB
compressed.  If we collocate and a individual tape is assigned to each
workstation we will waste all of that space (assuming each node will
have about 10GB aggregate over the expected subscription period) right?
Will TSM allow for shared tapes if there aren't enough tapes for each
node?  What about if there aren't any scratch tapes in the library and a
new node is added?  Thanks in advance!

Luke