ADSM-L

upgrading tape density

2001-11-15 14:23:36
Subject: upgrading tape density
From: Shawn Bierman <BiermanS AT METHODISTHEALTH DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:20:15 -0600
Hello,

** TSM 4.1 -- AIX 4.3.3.0 -- 3494 Library **

We upgraded our 3590B drives to 3590E1A drives.  We've also started using the
double density tapes (K).

If I am not mistaken, once the tape has been labeled it will remain at the
density that it was labeled at.  So, if I labeled a tape with the old 3590B
drives and the low density tape and this tape gets used and eventually becomes
scratch again, will it ever be re-labeled at the higher density so that we are
getting our moneys worth out of our upgrades?

I thought about using a script that would do a 'trap' and watch for tapes
becoming scratch and then just relabel them at that point.  Anyone been in this
situation before?

thanks for your time.
-shawn
Shawn L. Bierman