ADSM-L

Re: AIX and LTO 3583

2001-11-14 09:03:30
Subject: Re: AIX and LTO 3583
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:55:29 +0100
Hi Katherine

As it sounds, you have the optional 12 slot I/O station. Is this correct?

In that case, you should do the checkin with the parameter "search=bulk".

If not, TSM will assume that you don't have the I/O station, which means
that you only have a 1-slot I/O station.

And, if the tapes hasn't been expired in the library, you first have to
check in the tapes with status=private. This is because Tivoli has to
expire the tapes when they are in the library. TSM also sets the status to
scratch automatically when it expires the tapes.

But, the tapes has to be in the library for TSM to expire them and make
them scratch volumes.

If you do a q vol  you should see your expired copypool volumes as status
empty. This is because TSM hasn't had the chance to make them scratch
volumes.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Bergkällavägen 31D
192 79 SOLLENTUNA
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

                    Katherine

                    Faella               To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                    <kmf AT URI DOT EDU>        cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     AIX and LTO 3583

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA

                    RIST.EDU>

                    2001-11-14

                    14:50

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

Help!  I am feeling quite dumb here, have searched the archives and read
the manuals all to no avail.  It's probably just me ...

I have an IBM LTO 3583 library.  I have successfully inserted tapes and
begun backing up with TSM.  All
was going well.   Recently I decided that it was time to use the library as
it was intended.  Using DRM I
decided I should remove COPY tapes and DB Backup Tapes etc.  and keep them
in my "vault".   That was
easy.  Now however I would like to put back in some of the tapes that have
expired.  Here is where I am
having trouble.

We have one column in the library to hold tapes and one I/O port.  I can
add new scratch tapes with label
libvolume ... checkin=scratch ..    but I can not seem to get those old
used and expired tapes back in.

I have tried the   checking libvolume xxxxx scratch=yes.  I am prompted
(through the actlog) to insert the tape in slot 16.  Here is my problem.
Which slot is 16?  I have tried a couple of different ones and get

 ANR8306I 007: Insert LTO volume 111ACH R/W into the slot
                          with element number 16 of library LTOLIB within
58
                          minutes; issue 'REPLY' along with the request ID
when
                          ready. </mv>
11/13/2001 13:49:19      ANR2017I Administrator OPERATIONS issued command:
REPLY 7
11/13/2001 13:49:19      ANR8499I Command accepted.

11/13/2001 13:52:12      ANR8300E I/O error on library LTOLIB (OP=00006C03,
CC=314,
                          KEY=05, ASC=3B, ASCQ=0E,

SENSE=70.00.05.00.00.00.00.0A.00.00.00.00.3B.0E.E2.00.00-
                          .00., Description=The source slot or drive was
empty in
                          an attempt to move a volume).  Refer to Appendix
B in the
                          'Messages' manual for recommended action.
11/13/2001 13:52:12      ANR9999D mmsscsi.c(10846): Could not move volume
111ACH
                          from slot 16 to slot 256.
11/13/2001 13:52:12      ANR8841I Remove volume from slot 16 of library
LTOLIB at
                          your convenience.
11/13/2001 13:52:13      ANR8426E CHECKIN LIBVOLUME for volume 111ACH in
library
                          LTOLIB failed.
11/13/2001 13:52:13      ANR0985I Process 1515 for CHECKIN LIBVOLUME
running in the
                          BACKGROUND completed with completion state
FAILURE at
                          13:52:13.

I do not know how to tell what slot is 16.   Help!  Pretty soon I will run
out of new tapes to add and I can't get the old ones back in.  I feel
foolish.  It seems like this should be easy.  Help!   And will we're at it,
how can I log on an admin client (in line mode) with mount messages being
sent to this session.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, including RTFM -  just tell me what
page number!