ADSM-L

to get HP LTO Drives or IBM's

2001-11-09 10:02:44
Subject: to get HP LTO Drives or IBM's
From: "Wu, Jie" <JWu AT NCTR.FDA DOT GOV>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:56:52 -0600
we are trying to decide what LTO drives we should purchase: HP's or IBM's. I
have a white paper about the "Adaptive Tape Speed" technology used on HP LTO
drives. Basicly this technology monitors the data throughput of the drive
and adjusts the writing speed of the drive to match the host computer. The
paper claims that with this technology, HP LTO drives whith 16M cache is as
effective as a drive with 45.6M cache. The paper does make a lot of sense to
me. But can anyone who has real-life experience tell me the difference
regarding the performance and reliability between the LTO drives from these
two companies? Thank you.

Jie