ADSM-L

SAP and tapes

2001-11-08 10:55:18
Subject: SAP and tapes
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 07:52:39 -0800
Hello all,

I'm trying to keep an eye on all of my backups since at the moment I'm
limited on space in the library and don't want to either run out of tapes or
slots. Unfortunately I feel as if some people are taking advantage of me and
backing up whenever and however much they want. For instance I know some
people want a node setup but I'm backing off till I get more space. So what
they do is create a mount point on a node that is already defined and back
it up that way.

We're just trying to set up SAP and do some testing. In the case of SAP we
have an agreement they would only do a full to TSM once a week, Saturday,
200GB. Since they kick off their own backups, they could do it whenever they
want. They do backup logs every day though. They have 8 copies so I know at
least by this they are limited. Last night I see in the activity log that
this node was connecting to TSM, they have 4 mount points and I could see
that many sessions. I'm not sure however how much if any data they backed up
since they go straight to tape. I had 170 scratch tapes in the unit
yesterday morning yet this morning I only have 137. Since only 19 tapes
ejected and went off site this morning, from yesterdays backups something
doesn't add up.

Since this node is allowed 4 mount points I would have expected to see at
least 4 tapes in the SAPDB_TPOOL, yet I see only one below. Can someone
explain this? This is where the bulk of the data should go, at least I
thought. So hoe come the SAPREDO1 and 2 pools have so many tapes. I don't
know if my understanding of how SAP works is different than how it actually
does. Maybe that means I should change things???? Maybe someone can
straighten me out on my setup......

Show volumeusage only lists one tape so I doubt that's right.
tsm: ADSM>show volumeusage XBMS
SHOW VOLUMEUSAGE started.
  Volume U00208 in use by node XBMS.
SHOW VOLUMEUSAGE completed.

The below select shows something different....which makes no sense,
shouldn't they be the same???
tsm: ADSM>select node_name, volume_name, stgpool_name from volumeusage where
node_name=upper('XBMS')

NODE_NAME              VOLUME_NAME            STGPOOL_NAME
------------------     ------------------     ------------------
XBMS                   U00234                 OFFSITE_POOL
XBMS                   U00234                 OFFSITE_POOL
XBMS                   U00444                 OFFSITE_POOL
XBMS                   U00729                 OFFSITE_POOL
XBMS                   U01546                 OFFSITE_POOL
XBMS                   U01588                 OFFSITE_POOL
XBMS                   U01698                 OFFSITE_POOL
XBMS                   U00814                 SAPREDO1_TPOOL
XBMS                   U01543                 SAPREDO1_TPOOL
XBMS                   U01701                 SAPREDO1_TPOOL
XBMS                   U01274                 SAPREDO2_TPOOL
XBMS                   U01542                 SAPREDO2_TPOOL
XBMS                   U01761                 SAPREDO2_TPOOL
XBMS                   U00676                 OFFSITE_POOL
XBMS                   U01651                 OFFSITE_POOL
XBMS                   U00208                 SAPDB_TPOOL

Is there a select statement that will give me the amount of data any one
node backed up the previous night? I do have one that is supposed to tell me
this but it doesn't even return that node. Maybe because TSM is not kicking
off the backup????

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer