ADSM-L

Re: LAN free backup for NT

2001-11-04 19:04:37
Subject: Re: LAN free backup for NT
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 02:03:00 +0200
Why??
IMHO we have this since v4.1. But there the only available storage agent is
for NT. Anyway this is what he/she (sorry I cannot guess from the name) is
looking for.
Look what I have in my v4.1 Managed System for SAN Storage Agent User's
Guide, Overview, Prerequisites:
"The TSM server must be at the Version 4.1 or higher level. At the time of
publication, the TSM servers available for the Windows, AIX, and Sun
Solaris operating systems support the Managed System for SAN feature. "
So any v4.1 or above (including v4.1.2 in question) server for platforms
cited should work.
If I remember it well I read somewhere that the server and the storage
agent have to be at same maintenance level. I am not sure in this and hope
someone from IBM/Tivoli will point if I am wrong. The question how this can
be achieved with 4.1.4.x server and 4.1.3.x storage agent gives additional
uncertainness.
In the User's Guides for all three v4.2 Storage Agents the required server
is v4.2 !
Is any of the combinations v4.2 Server / v4.1 Agent or v4.1 Server / v4.2
Agent capable to work is giving us another enigma: How to upgrade v4.1
installation to v4.2. The latter combination is not supported according to
docs. And if the former also does not work (despite the fact that this has
to be supported according to docs) the upgrade path is either simultaneous
upgrade of the server(s) and storage agents or through loss of LAN-free
functionality until upgrade completes.
So be careful.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Chris Young <CYoung AT GRESHAMSTORAGE DOT COM> on 02.11.2001 21:30:55