ADSM-L

Re: restoring client as a full OS install?

2001-11-02 07:54:21
Subject: Re: restoring client as a full OS install?
From: Ray Schafer <schafer AT TKG DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 06:51:26 -0600
Alex,

As far as I know, TKG's Bare Metal Restore is the only product
(commercial or otherwise) to restore an NT, 2000, AIX, Solaris, or HP UX
machine from bare metal.  It is also a fully automated restore, using
only the data in TSM to restore the system.  The web link is
http://www.tkg.com/bmr/tsm.

Hope that helps.

Alexander Lazarevich wrote:

I'd like to know if anyone has restored a client to a blank/new drive in
order to fully bring back the OS. What I mean is this: If a client disk
drive fails, and I need bring that client machine back up ASAP, it would
be quicker if I could restore every single file that was backed up for the
client. If all system/install/data files on the client were backed up,
then the restore should work, right? This would be quicker than
reinstalling all apps, because we have a lot of apps...

I already tried this. But it didn't work because I was trying to restore
to a drive that was the currently running OS client, and I think ADSM was
unable to restore files that were running processes. So now I'm going to
try and restore to a second clean drive that I installed in the machine.
I also installed a base OS on the second drive, rather than keeping it a
clean drive with a formated filesystem of the OS type. I'm not sure if one
was is better than another.

I read the ADSM manual, thinking that the section called "Disaster
Recovery" would be just what I'm doing, and it's not. I already know what
my machine specs are, I just need to know if I can trully restore the OS.

Cause everything on a computer is a file, right? If that's true then this
should work, right?

Anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Alex Lazarevich
Systems Administrator
Imaging Technology Group, http://www.itg.uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute, http://www.beckman.uiuc.edu
405 N. Mathews, Urbana IL  61801  USA
Ph: (217)244-1565 e-mail: alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu

Ray Schafer             The Kernel Group       www.tkg.com
Ray Schafer             The Kernel Group       www.tkg.com
Sr. Sales Engineer      schafer AT tkg DOT com    +1 512 433 3300