ADSM-L

Re: ntuser.dat and c:\adsm.sys

2001-11-01 17:33:25
Subject: Re: ntuser.dat and c:\adsm.sys
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 17:30:44 -0500
Yes, that is the registry key name.  I assume that's because the contents of
NTUSER.DAT become the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key when the user is logged
on.

With the 4.2 client, that file in ADSM.SYS is actually named NTUSER.DAT,
which makes it easier to figure out.

I don't have a 4.1 client machine around to test, but I believe in 4.1 you
just copy that file to where NTUSER.DAT is supposed to be, and rename it.

Do that AFTER you restore the registry (system object), but BEFORE you
reboot and try to log on as that user again.

(Now it won't be necessary to do this on every machine.  If the user is
logged off while the TSM backup is running, then TSM can make a perfectly
good copy of NTUSER.DAT in it's native directory, and after you restore C:
the NTUSER.DAT will be there.  So you don't need to bother retrieving the
copy from adsm.sys in that case).