ADSM-L

Re: TDP for R3 on AIX with SAN

2001-10-30 21:22:04
Subject: Re: TDP for R3 on AIX with SAN
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 21:19:07 -0500
This is a known performance degradation.  Remember the SAN connection only
writes 1 thread at a time; whereas the LAN can create up to 5, I believe.
So if you are running file system saves with very small files the LAN will
work better.  The meta data goes down the LAN interface in either case.

Your next question will be why don't they multi-thread the data to the tape
drive.  I can tell you that you that other products do this and it sounds
great until you go to duplicate the tapes for offsite.  The performance is
horrible.

So, the answer is you have to use the right tool for the job.  File Servers
with small files, Gigabit LAN may be a better answer.  Large files and TDPs
for databases like SAN.