ADSM-L

Re: Server->Server Virtual Volumes (philosophical)

2001-10-30 16:56:17
Subject: Re: Server->Server Virtual Volumes (philosophical)
From: Suad Musovich <suad AT CCU1.AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:53:03 +1300
On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 11:24:24AM -0600, George Lesho wrote:
> Suad, Have you considered a strategy where you give the desktops access to
> network drives on a "few" servers that would be backed up incrementally?
> Trying to back up hundreds of desktops in a small window is a bunch more
> resource intensive from the TSM servers standpoint than backing up a few
> servers.

I would love to do that.

Like I mentioned in the original e-mail, most of these machines were backing
up for a long time. They are well used to restore data themselves.
A bunch fileservers, scattered around our campus, are not well kept and have
all the typical problems of neglected resources. Desktop disk sizes are
exceeding the legacy servers.

This University has an age old problem where computer funding, mostly, get
allocated for the few and the masses get neglected.

Next year we hope to start building a disk storage farm, and deploy caching
servers around the fringe.

But thats a different project.

Cheers, Suad