ADSM-L

Re: Optical Drives

2001-10-30 16:36:49
Subject: Re: Optical Drives
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:33:48 +0200
Vint,

the drive you point is supported but not directly. The the device you point
is actually re-writable CD recorder which can be thought similar to WORM
device (but is not the same). This kind of media IS supported in TSM
through REMOVABLE FILE device class :
"When you use CD-ROM media for the REMOVABLEFILE device type, the library
type must be MANUAL. You access the media through a mount point, for
example, /dev/cdx, where x is a number that is assigned by your operating
system. Use the device manufacturer's operating system utilities to format
(if necessary) and label the media. "
So after a file (in file pool) creation AND fill up you can write it to a
CD using scripts and tools like mkisofs+cdrecord. I do not know about
Solaris but those work on AIX.
I can recommend this to be used only for copy pools leaving you with two
choices - too many disks for primary pool or again good (old) tapes.
IMHO this device class is good to be used for backupsets and maybe DB
backups.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Vint Maggs <vint.maggs AT SRS DOT GOV> on 29.10.2001 16:46:29