ADSM-L

Re: MVS TSM Backup of RAW FS (ie.open Systems)

2001-10-30 16:36:36
Subject: Re: MVS TSM Backup of RAW FS (ie.open Systems)
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:34:05 +0200
As far as I know (sorry I never had mainframe on hand to play with =-(
there is TSM client only for Linux/390 and OS/390 UNIX.
And if we read the "Using the UNIX Backup-Archive Clients" book:
"Image backup is supported on AIX, Solaris, and HP-UX. " !!
So the answer for me is NO. Even when you are able to access somehow the
drive in question in OS/390 UNIX (when Linux will have raw devices?) you
are lacking image backup client.
But same scenario with AIX or Solaris being core TSM server or at least
storage agent sharing library with the server can work. HP/UX is new to SAN
sharing, has only Server/Server sharing capabilities and I have not yet
heard someone to use it.
I hope this helps.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Tweedy, Rick" <Rick.Tweedy AT CCRA-ADRC.GC DOT CA> on 29.10.2001 18:36:06