ADSM-L

Re: DiskXtender 2000 experience

2001-10-24 14:40:22
Subject: Re: DiskXtender 2000 experience
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:37:10 -0700
Issues we encountered with DiskXtender:

If you right click on a migrated and purged file and click properties, it
does a recall.

If you highlight a bunch of files, right click and click properties, a file
is accessed, randomly chosen as far as I can tell.  If that random file
happens to have been migrated and purged, you have to wait through a fetch
to get your totals.

If you have a bazillion shares in your root directory, that's a headache as
far as creating media folders.  You might want to move your shares into
"aggregate" directories that would make good media folders.  Also a
headache.

We couldn't find a way to notify users that a fetch is occurring or that a
file they are considering using has been purged.

You can't move a migrated and purged file across media folders.  A
fetch-then-move is necessary.  If you want to move a share  or directory
tree onto another drive, say, for space reasons, fetch it all back and then
move it.

Tapes used by DiskXtender stayed mounted.  We found this in an early
version.  Could anybody else verify whether it still occupies a mount point
even when idle?  We didn't get around to verifying it during our testing of
the latest version.  Our idle timeout is 60 minutes, which meant we were
experiencing idle mount point occupancy for an extra hour.  I expect it
would have been 1 mount point per media folder had we tested several media
folders.

Oh, and something not DiskXtender related, using TSM client 4.1.1.16 and
4.1.3.something, when we enabled Outbound Filescan in McAfee a couple
million files on our fileserver, about 25% of the files, had their access
times updated during the backup.  If we disabled Outbound, this didn't
happen.  We were unable to determine whether this was a Tivoli or McAfee
issue.  Go figure.  This obviously would have affected DiskXtender
management rules and files migrated/purged.

For us, we decided to wait on DiskXtender until we migrate our fileserver to
another box where we can construct a different file hierarchy and use quota
management.  With quotas and quota-style reporting, we may not even need
DiskXtender, but then again, we might decide to use it anyway depending on
which way the Political Wind blows.

Alex

PS:  I just spellchecked, and it told me "bizillion" was actually spelled
"bazillion."  Can you believe there's a proper spelling of an imaginary
word?