ADSM-L

If tape in SCSI library gets damaged

2001-10-23 20:44:46
Subject: If tape in SCSI library gets damaged
From: Yahya Ilyas <Yahya.Ilyas AT ASU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:26:34 -0700
I recently had to restore a file from one node to another, but the tape for
source node had some problems.  Restore was very slow and TSM issued
messages that it could not read files, so restore did not work.  I tried to
run audit on that volume/tape, TSM deleted some damaged files but it was
very slow.  After few hours I canceled audit process and tried to move files
to a different tape, but it did not work either.

Finally I deleted data on that tape and checkout that tape.  TSM still
showed filesystems for that node, I deleted filesystems also and did backup
again for that node.

I wanted to know in this situation what else could I do or how can I prevent
such things in future.  If tape goes bad than what are my options?
We use STK9710 tape library and DLT4 tapes,  library has total of 500 tapes
and almost half of them are scratch.  TSM server is version4, release 1,
level 3.0 on AIX.

Thanks