ADSM-L

Length of database audit and other migration lessons...

2001-10-23 18:13:27
Subject: Length of database audit and other migration lessons...
From: "Gretchen L. Thiele" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:55:04 EDT
I'm currently in the process of migrating 8 v3.1 servers on VM,
one v3.7 server on Solaris and one v4.1.2.0 server on AIX to
totally different 'homes'. Mostly migrating to AIX v4.3.3 and
TSM v4.1.4.0 (I'm a little gunshy about going to v4.2.whatever
after reading the list lately and with all of the other changes).

Because I have a 'spare' box, I'm practicing bare metal TSM
server recovery. LOTS of lessons learned here, most of which
I will cover at a session next SHARE. However, as long as I
was playing around and had the time, I thought I'd run a db
audit on the recovered server just to see how long it would
take and perhaps provide a benchmark for others.

Here is the environment: H80 (or whatever it's called now),
2 processors, 1 GB memory, AIX v4.3.3, TSM v4.1.4.0. The
database is 110GB, 35% utilized (planning on growth!).

db audit start: 20:17 10/22/2001
db audit end:   17:35 10/23/2001
elapsed:        21:18
Over 350 million database entries processed.

It sure would be nice to know approximately how many 'entries'
there are in order to gauge how much further the audit process
has to go. Anybody know where you can find this?

Gretchen Thiele
Princeton University