ADSM-L

Re: rman question

2001-10-23 09:47:05
Subject: Re: rman question
From: Neil Rasmussen <nrasmuss AT US.TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 06:44:18 -0700
Steve,

Rman will hold all channels until it finishes it processesing on the
entire backup job. Rman usually does a good job making sure that the
channels get equal amount of work but you can imagine that in some
instances the majority of the work load goes to one channel. For instance:
channel t1 backs up the control file and several small datafiles that
equal 100mb while channel t2 gets a datafile (maybe the remaining backup
piece) that is 700mb. In this case channel t1 will have finished long
before channel t2 and then Rman holds the resources of t1 until t2
completes.