ADSM-L

Re: Policy and expiration

2001-10-22 22:33:40
Subject: Re: Policy and expiration
From: Steve Harris <STEVE_HARRIS AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:27:04 +1000
Patrick,

Since TSM only backs up changed files, some of your older offsite tapes will
still contain data that is a current backup (i.e. files that haven't changed
since they were first backed up).

You really have to go to volume-based cycle system, ie you send tapes offsite
and retrieve them only when they are empty.  If your offsite vendor can't
handle this, you may have to ship tapes back out again repeatedly.

I assume that you are not using an offsite copypool.  If not, then you should
be,  because this allows offsite tapes to be reclaimed as they expire, by
recreating them from the primary copypool.

Tivoli's DRM component is good for handling offsite storage, or alternatively
look at AutoVault from Coderelief.

In the short term, you can check in your tapes and use a move data command  to
consolidate them before checking out the next set.

Hope this helps

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> Patrick Sheehan <psheehan AT GLOBE DOT COM> 23/10/2001 0:56:49 >>>
TSM'rs

        I have a tape library with one drive and 4 weeks of tapes. I
rotate the tapes every week and thought I had set the policy correctly but
whenever I use the oldest tapes I'm unable to checkin some of the tapes
because there's still "good" data on them. What should I change in order
for the tapes to expire every three weeks automatically?

TIA

Patrick

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.