ADSM-L

Re: Setting up TSM on AIX

2001-10-22 17:11:16
Subject: Re: Setting up TSM on AIX
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:53:46 -0400
A couple of things...

I assume that by "partition", you mean "logical volume".  AIX's limit
for standard JFS filesystems is (I believe) around 2GB...are you
creating "large file enable" filesystems?

I would be a little concerned about using RAID5 storage for
TSM...depending on how big/active you expect your TSM environment to
grow, and what type of disk it is (SSA? Shark? SCSI?).

Lastly...do you really need to create those big LV's?  TSM volumes can
be create as lots of smaller files, and they can be distributed across
multiple file systems.  I usually try to stay away from creating those
big whopping files, as they limit flexibility, should you ever need to
make adjustments (reductions) in the size of a TSM DB/log/storage pool.

-Lloyd
"Klein, Robert (CIT)" wrote:
"Klein, Robert (CIT)" wrote:

> We trying to set up a TSM server on AIX.  The person setting up the server
> is an experienced Unix sysadmin, but is running into a problem defining
> partitions on the AIX box.  The disk system is  350 GB RAID5.  When she
> tries to set up a partition larger than 5 GB, she gets an error message.
> Anyone have any idea of what she might be doing wrong?  Also, does anyone
> have suggestions on how best to set up the partitions  (one partition for
> both the db/recovery logs and the disk storage pools, separate partitions,
> etc.?)  I checked the ADSM-L archives for the last couple of years and did
> not see anything on this issue.
>
> > Thanks for any help you can provide.

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:716-389-1260    fax:716-389-1267