ADSM-L

Re: ANR8808E - could not write label

2001-10-22 12:06:43
Subject: Re: ANR8808E - could not write label
From: Jack McKinney <jackmc-adsm AT LORENTZ DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:04:04 -0500
Big Brother tells me that Shawn Bierman wrote:
> Would anyone have an idea as to what has happened here?
>
> Received this message four times today:
>
> AND8808E Could not write label 012591 on the volume n
> drive 3494DRVJ (/dev/rmt9) of library 3494A because that
> volume is already labeled with 012413 which is still
> defined in a storage pool or volume history
>
> We are running tsm 4.1.3.0 on AIX 4.3.2.0
>
> thanks for any help.

    If you _really_ aren't using the volume 012413 anymore, you can remove
it from your volhist.  Do a 'q volhist' to see what is there.
    I never use scratch volumes, and instead label tape volumes appropriately.
For example,
I have two copy pools: COPYA and COPYB.  COPYA has tape volumes COPYA000,
COPYA001, etc, and I always keep a DB snapshot on COPYADB.  Thus, if I have
a disaster, I don't need my volhist to recover.  I _know_ that COPYADB is
the database, and can thus restore it to the new server, and then restore
to the new stgpools from the copy pool.
    Thus, I can safely do:

DELETE VOLHIST TODATE=TODAY+1 TYPE=STGNEW
DELETE VOLHIST TODATE=TODAY+1 TYPE=STGDELETE

    If uncertain, do something like this, first:

BACKUP VOLHIST FILE=/tmp/volhist.20011022

--
"Master knows everthing except                    Jack McKinney
"Master knows everthing except                    Jack McKinney