ADSM-L

Re: 3590E1A vs IBM LTO

2001-10-22 09:29:31
Subject: Re: 3590E1A vs IBM LTO
From: Jeff Bach <jdbach AT WAL-MART DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:26:50 -0500
Data Transfer:
Writing from LTO to LTO, LTO to 3590, 3590 to 3590 is all 12-13 megs/sec,
DISK to LTO, DISK to 3590 (client compression)

Measurements are taken on the Brocade switch (portperfshow) and all drives
are fiber.

Price:
3 LTO for 1 3590.
Tape prices are similar per Gig.
Robot cost lower for LTO, frame costs if figured per Terabyte much lower for
LTO.
Floor space and power costs per Terabyte much lower for LTO.
LTO drives are replaced  and 3590 are fixed.  LTO costs lower anyway.
LTO tape drives sold by many vendors.  Competition is good.

Capacity: client compression (with drive, LTO 2:1 and 3590 3:1)
LTO 1 storage cabinet 40 Terabytes (400 tapes *100 Gigs each)
3590 library 6 frames 40 Terabytes approximately.

Tapes are smaller and have more capacity for LTO

Performance:
LTO library robot, much faster, 2-3 times
IBM says LTO backhitches more and slower recovery than 3590 (I have not
seen)

Jeff Bach
Home Office Open Systems Engineering
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.