ADSM-L

Re: Client and AIX mirrored disks...

2001-10-22 09:24:45
Subject: Re: Client and AIX mirrored disks...
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:22:18 -0500
Hi,

Let me try and clarify things and that should answer your question....

First, are you backing up filesystems or raw logical volumes? (hmm, it might
not matter).

Remember filesystems are built on logical volumes, logical volumes point to one
ore more physical volumes. So if you are backing up filesystems there is no
need to break the mirroring. Now even if you want to back up raw logical
volumes, I don't think you should have to break the mirrors.

>Without going into too much detail about our current config, are
>there any special considerations
>regarding the client if you are using AIX LVM-level mirroring?
NO!

>Is there anything in the TSM client which assists in the backup of mirrored
>volumes?
No, because TSM clients look at filesystems, which don't know about mirroring.
The logical volumes manager handles the mirroring. ie. the answer is no because
you have to worry about it!

>Do the logical volumes have to be varied on (just wondering if varying them
>off is an option) for TSM to back them up?
If they contain a filesystem YES, if you want to back up raw logical volumes
then I would think NO. However I think you want to back up filesystems, right?

To answer your question generally, just install the client though smitty, set
the options and run dsmc inc. That's all you need to do to get started.

Miles

----------------
Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557
----------------
>>> stephen.greatbanks AT EDS DOT COM 21-Oct-01 11:18:04 PM >>>
>>> stephen.greatbanks AT EDS DOT COM 21-Oct-01 11:18:04 PM >>>
Hi,
        I am something of a TSM beginner, and this is my first post here
too, so please excuse
any obvious mistakes on my part.
        I am in the position of having to implement a TSM backup solution
for our client. This is
(in the first instance at least) an all AIX shop. I've read all the
redbooks, and am pretty confident
that I know (more or less!) what needs to be done. However, I would
appreciate some feedback
regarding AIX disk mirroring and how this affects the client-side of the
set-up.
        Without going into too much detail about our current config, are
there any special considerations
regarding the client if you are using AIX LVM-level mirroring? Our current
backups use sysback/sbom
which jumps through a number of hoops to break a copy off the (triple)
mirror, which is then backed
up whilst work continues. For simplicity, as much as anything else, I would
far prefer to not have
to do this kind of thing as part of the backup procedure. Is there anything
in the TSM client which
assists in the backup of mirrored volumes? Do the logical volumes have to be
varied on (just wondering
if varying them off is an option) for TSM to back them up? Does anybody have
any experience with this
kind of thing?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Greatbanks