ADSM-L

Re: storage agent?

2001-10-19 09:24:54
Subject: Re: storage agent?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:38:36 +0300
Help me to understand and please correct if I am wrong:

1. As far as I know from v4.1 and what I read in v4.2 docs, the storage
agent allows LAN-free (-->) DATA (<--) movement. Meta-data goes through LAN
from client to server and sits in the DB. The server mounts the tape
volume, (I do not know who exactly does tape positioning), and storage
agent (limited functionality server code) writes backup data through SAN to
the tape. If needed server dismounts volume, mounts new one and the
operation continues.
So if we thing about the storage pool data it goes straight from
client/agent to volume - no server involvement except for tape
mount/dismount. It does not have to go through the server.

2. SAN library sharing through SAN Data Gateway (or SAN Data Gateway
Router) is available since v3.7 between servers, enhanced in v4.1 to allow
storage agent (not server) also to access the tapes but only for Windows
Agent and in v4.2 is additionally enhanced providing storage agents on AIX
and Solaris. So this was available long time ago (sorry I cannot say when
v4.1 was announced and am too lazy to check).

3. There is a possibility to share sequential volumes which are not tapes
but FILE devclass through SANergy.
Did anybody tested/used this? Is anybody on this list using SANergy?
Does this mean that a storage agent can backup to shared FILE volumes (best
theoretical backup time - both disks and FC) and later TSM server can
perform storage pool backup and migration?

4. What is this server-less operation? Is this an already implemented
feature in v4.2.1 (new feature in maintenance release ?!?) or just
something planned to be implemented in v5.1 (or later) ? How the
server-less backup will mark volumes if it does not have any path to notify
the server DB? Or this would be some kind of standalone solution, i.e.
server + local client (+TDP for Apps) with reduced capabilities/features?

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Suad Musovich <suad AT CCU1.AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ> on 18.10.2001 07:09:54