ADSM-L

Re: Why does adding a cpu and more memory slow things down.

2001-10-17 07:27:02
Subject: Re: Why does adding a cpu and more memory slow things down.
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:23:37 +0100
Mark,
You have not said what you are backing up, but typically the great majority of
the elapsed
time with backups is going to be spent on the clients or in the network.
Adding cpu and ram to the host server is more likely to improve processes.
Are you seeing any improvement in expiration/migration times for instance.
Are you seeing an improvement in your db cache hit %
I suggest you possibly need to look at network or client factors for your slower
backups.
You may want to look at the output of query activity stats or perform traces on
selected
clients for a breakdown of your worst performers.
By the way 2.4 is fairly down level for your os390 system.
There is a new tcpip stack with later releases 2.6 or 2.7 I think, which might
improve things a bit.

Mark Brown <mark.brown AT MCGILL DOT CA> on 10/16/2001 08:43:15 PM