ADSM-L

Re: Delete VOLHIST questions.

2001-10-11 10:56:56
Subject: Re: Delete VOLHIST questions.
From: Charles Anderson <ceanderson AT DIS.UMSMED DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:54:41 -0500
Well, I suppose that everyone has their own way of doing things, and without
being critical of others here's how we have it working.

2 things run daily relative to volume history
  "DELETE VOLHIST todate=today-16 type=DBBACKUP"
  "DELETE VOLHIST todate=today-30 type=all"

Where using DRM set the following way ( from q drmstatus )
    DB Backup Series Expiration Days: 15 Day(s)

I like to have a decent record of the volume history as we have a 3494 library
which was giving a lot of trouble with volumes suddenly disappearing.  Now, the
reason those volumes were disappearing is that the "delete volhist type=backup"
was set to 7 days, which was before those volumes expired in DRM.

WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU DELETE VOLHIST FOR DBBACKUP TYPES
THAT IT IS NOT SET TO A NUMBER LESS THAN HOW DRM IS SET TO DELETE THE SAME ( if
you're using DRM ).

As you can see perhaps, I got a little frustrated trying to figure out why DRM
was losing 4+ volumes daily.  I wish I had subscribed to this list earlier.

-
Ed Anderson
Ed Anderson

>>> Alan.Davenport AT SELECTIVE DOT COM 10/11/01 08:12AM >>>
Dear fellow *SMers,

        I would like your input on something regarding the delete of volume
history records. From reading this list for some time, I've seen many
different opinions on how it should be handled. I would like to hear your
thoughts on how you are doing it and your reasons for doing it that way.

        Should only the DBBACKUPS be deleted after x amount of days or
should ALL records older than the oldest DB backup be deleted? What are your
opinions on this?

           Thank you,
            Al

Alan Davenport