ADSM-L

Bad performance with Oracle TDP

2001-10-10 09:35:32
Subject: Bad performance with Oracle TDP
From: Paul van Dongen <paul AT VANGUARD-IT.COM DOT BR>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:32:50 -0300
Hello everybody,

   I was doing some testing with a "possible" new TSM user. They have some very
large Oracle databases running on Solaris. After installing all the software
(TSM Server 4.2.0 on OS/390, TSM Client 4.2.0 on the Solaris machine, and the
latest version of the TDP) we went for some benchmarking. Some results:

I backed up three 1 GB files using RESOURCEUTIL 6 on the client, with no
compression. It gave a total transfer rate of 101 GB/hour

The I backed a Oracle database with the TDP, allocating two channels in RMAN.
Throughput: 9,6 GB/hour... Now that is my problem. They want the product mainly
for the Oracle backups, and with just one of the databases having an expected
change rate of 200GB/day, this would be very difficult to live with.

Does somebody have a clue of what is causing such a bad performance of the
Oracle backup?

Some additional data:
I am backing up to the OS/390 server using disk storage pool spread over 10
separate disk volumes. The network connection is Gigabit ethernet between the
two servers, and I am using IBM TCP-IP on the mainframe.

Thank you for your attention.

--
Paul Gondim van Dongen
Paul Gondim van Dongen